This post contains affiliate links. I only recommend products I know and love. Any purchases made through these links help to support my family and this site at no additional cost to you.
Looking for natural ways to help get to sleep and stay asleep? Essential oils can be a big help in this department! Lavender Dreams sleepy time essential oil roll on is a favorite of mine, and my baby girl.
As any mama out there knows, when there are young kids in the house (or even older ones), sleep can be a bit elusive…both for you and for them. Sometimes, the problem is your brain won’t quiet down. Maybe the stress of the day is getting to you. Even if you have no issues at all and you just like the smell, that’s cool too.
I tend to lean on the “less is more” theory when it comes to essential oils. They are the strongest form of plant’s healing essence you can get. But, you don’t need to have an issue in order to use them.
Why Does It Work?
Many studies have been done on the relationship between Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia). The results unanimously conclude that those that, in the variety of ways to use this oil and to slightly varying degrees, those that inhale the scent of lavender for at least a 2 minute time period, achieve better and deeper sleep.
How does Lavender help you achieve this? This medical study from the College of Public Health Sciences in Thailand found that Lavender Essential Oil “caused significant decreases of blood pressure, heart rate and skin temperature”, and certain brain frequencies were increased when inhaling Lavender, resulting in relaxation.
Orange essential oil is more well known for its uplifting properties. However it finds its way into many sleep blends due to its ability to reduce stress and anxiety.
How To Make Sleepy Time Essential Oil Roll On
*A note about quality* Make sure that you use 100% pure, therapeutic grade, preferably organic, essential oils. Only about 2% of essential oils are considered to be therapeutic grade. There is no regulation on the manufacturing of essential oils, only on honest labeling. Make sure your bottle label says “100% essential oil, therapeutic grade”
My oils of choice are Nature’s Sunshine Essential Oils. This is a company I trust not only for my oils, but for my vitamins and supplements as well. All of the ingredients in their products are sourced from organic farms or wildly harvested from areas know to be of organic quality.
What you need
- a 10 ml Glass Roll-on Bottle with Stainless Steel Roller Ball, preferable amber or blue in color. The dark color of the bottle helps to protect your oils from temperature and light.
- 20 drops Organic Lavender Essential Oil
- 5 drops Organic Orange Essential Oil
- 5 drops Vanilla Essential Oil
- Carrier Oil
- Add your essential oils into the bottle first then fill to the bottom of the bottle neck with carrier oil.
- Push roller ball topper into the bottle and then screw the lid on
- Store in a cool dry closet or cabinet.
- Shake well before use. Use nightly before going to bed by rolling the oil onto the bottom or on your pulse points.